Have you ever looked at your garage and thought that it’s turned into a chaotic mess? There’s clutter everywhere, and it seems impossible to navigate through all the chaotic mess. And that only means one thing— it’s time for a garage makeover!
The question is, how?
With the right strategies and a ton of elbow grease, you can transform your garage from a dumping ground into a well-organised and efficient storage space! And we’ve got some tips and tricks to help you with it! So, continue on reading to discover how you can turn your garage into a functional storage space!
Take a look at your needs
First things first: you have to assess your storage needs. This means that you need to determine which items to store in your garage.
So how can you do that? Simple— categorise!
You can identify categories that make up the items in your garage—from tools, sports equipment, gardening supplies, holiday decorations, or others.
When you know what you have in your garage as well as what you need to store, you can plan your garage makeover more effectively.
Time to declutter and sort
Now that you know what you need, it’s time for you to declutter your garage! When you declutter, you can free up valuable space in your garage. This will make room for the items that you actually need and use!
So how can you declutter your chaotic mess? Here’s some useful tips to make it easy!
- Sort your stuff into four categories: keep, donate, sell, and dispose.
- Avoid being sentimental. Be ruthless in your decision making— if you haven’t used it in years or it’s broken beyond repair, then you should let the item go.
Plan your garage’s layout
Now that you’ve finally had the opportunity to declutter and let go of the items you no longer need around your house, next up is to plan the layout of your garage.
In this step, you should think of how you want to use the space. You also need to consider how you can reach the items that you’ll use frequently.
To help you visualise your entire setup, sketch your garage’s layout on a piece of paper. You can even use a garage organising app to help you visualise! This way, you can create zone areas in your garage for different purposes, like a workshop area, a sports equipment section, or a gardening section. This’ll allow you to know where to look whenever you need an item!
Use storage solutions
Do you know the secret to a functional storage space? It’s not having huge garage space, it’s how you can maximise it!
So, if you don’t have spacious garage space, you’ll need to invest in the right storage solutions! Here are some options that you can use for your garage.
- Shelving units. These are excellent for storing tools, paint, and other small items. Some heavy-duty freestanding shelves can hold bulky items like boxes and sports equipment.
- Cabinets and drawers. These can store small tools and accessories, keeping them dust-free and organised.
- Pegboards and slatwalls. These allow you to hang tools, equipment, and even a bicycle for easy access!
- Overhead storage. These can store items you don’t use frequently such as holiday decorations.
- Bins and totes. These can store items such as gardening supplies and holiday decor. But, make sure you label each bin to avoid confusion!
Develop a system for organisation
Keeping your garage as organised as possible doesn’t end with decluttering and installing storage shelves. After all, it can go back to its chaotic state if you don’t put items back where it should be!
But how can you keep it organised?
Think systematically— use an organisation system! You can follow these tips to create your own garage organisation system.
- Quickly locate items by labelling bins and shelves clearly.
- Identify categories for items through colours or numbers.
- Make sure that everyone in the family is aware of the organisation system.
Take advantage of vertical space
Do you know that garage walls are often underutilised? And you can take advantage of your garage walls, giving you more space!
How, you ask?
You can install wall hooks, brackets, and pegboards. This allows you to hang items in your garage wall, from bicycles to ladders to even gardening tools.
When you make use of your garage wall, you can free up your floor space. Plus, it makes your garage safer by preventing tripping hazards!
Upgrade your lighting and flooring
While you’re at it, why not upgrade your garage’s lighting and flooring? After all, good lighting is crucial for a functional garage!
You should replace old, dim bulbs with LED ones to illuminate every corner of your garage. This way, you can see all the space that you can use! And if you have a workbench, you can add task lighting to make your DIY projects easier and safer to navigate!
But what about your floors? Well, you can add a coating to your concrete floor to improve its appearance and functionality. Not only will it add a polished look to your garage, but epoxy makes your floor resistant to stain and easier to clean!
Additional tips: How to maintain your garage’s organised layout
Congratulations! You’re finally able to make the most out of your garage space. But remember, it doesn’t end there! After all, your garage can go back to its messy state in no time if you don’t properly maintain it!
You can ensure a clutter-free and organised garage by following our tips below!
- Don’t forget to declutter your garage every once in a while. This allows you to review your stuff and throw away items you don’t actually need or use.
- Make sure everyone in the family puts items back into where they should be. This way, your house stays clutter-free and items won’t pile up in your garage!
- Update your organisation system as the seasons change. After all, you’ll need items such as holiday decorations and winter sports gear as the seasons get colder!
- Make sure to regularly clean your garage. It doesn’t have to be a deep clean, but sweeping the floors can be a game-changer. Remember that while your epoxy-coated floors may be stain-resistant, it definitely isn’t dust-resistant!
Keeping your garage clutter-free and spacious requires the right strategies and effort. With our simple tips, you can transform your garage into a functional storage space!1