If you thought floral prints and accessories were old-fashioned, then think again. We’re not talking fussy, chintzy designs here, but rather bold, contemporary, stylised prints with a modern edge. The look to go for is ‘floral accents’ rather than ‘help, I’m lost in the jungle!’ Go for only one or two pieces per room to stop it looking too overpowering.
Here are our top picks for floral accessories with a contemporary edge.
If pink and feminine isn’t your thing, then go for strong shapes in monochrome or plain colours. A simple palette can look sophisticated and stylish without being overpowering or fussy.
- Ruut cushion, £39.50 by Lapuan Kankurit, available from Cloudberry Living. Made from luxury washed linen and organic cotton, this unusual cushion with its sophisticated monochrome palette and detailed design will look good any sofa, armchair or bed.
- Aneto bed linen, from £49, from Urbanara. Floral bedding with a contemporary twist, the Aneto range is made in Portugal with a high-quality, 200 thread-count cotton percale for a soft yet durable finish.
- Canadenis flower round wall mirror, was £129 now £64.50, available from The Chandelier and Mirror Company. Bevelled glass overlaid with a cool sketchy stylised flower design which stretches across the face of the mirror and uses black and shimmery silver paint to create a three dimensional effect.
Avoid an old-fashioned look by going for big, bold, fantasy flowers. Colour combinations never seen in nature along with stylised shapes make this a look that’s more glamorous than garden.
- Celestial flower painting ‘Make a Wish’ print, £12 by Creative Ingrid, available from Etsy. This unique piece of art is drawn using watercolour and ink and uses a stylised flower design with elements of fantasy art for a dreamy, fairytale effect.
- Catarina plum wallpaper by Arthouse, £18 per roll, available from Wallpaper Direct. Perfect for a feature wall in a bedroom or sitting room, the design shows an updated Jacobean stylised flowers finished with metallic and mica effects. Available in different colourways.
- Poppy at play wall stickers, £28.49 from Dotty Frog Decors. Dip your toe into floral accents with these bright red poppies. You can position them anywhere you like, and peel them off and move them if you want to try them somewhere else.
Add floral accents to your house so subtly that no-one will even notice where you’ve drawn your inspiration from! These flower shaped accessories are a nod to nature, with no hint of ‘twee cottage garden’.
- Quatrefoil round mirror, was £415 now £373.50, available from Puji. This mirror combines the classic quatrefoil style with a pretty floral design to give it elegance and style. It’s a great focal point for a room, as well as a clever way of adding extra light and space to a smaller room like a bathroom or guest bedroom.
- Petals decorative fruit bowl, £49 from be&liv. This decorative fruit bowl is made of individual flat pieces which form an organic shape resembling the petals of a flower. It’s practical as well as pretty, as it allows air to circulate around the fruit for a longer shelf life.
- Rochelle pendant flower glass frame, by dar lighting group. This unusual light has hand finished, clear, flower shaped glass discs on polished chrome stems radiating from a polished chrome centre and with 9 x G9 lamp holders. It’s a real talking point, whether lit up or not, and would look great over a dining table.
Main image: Pixabay0