Although we write about popular trends and ideas here on Fresh Design Blog, we’re also big fans of originality and being unique. If we all had identical homes and matching interiors, life would be rather boring. So we definitely support Carpetright’s Do It Differently campaign, which is highlighting the varied ways in which you can stamp your own mark on your home and do things your way.
Throughout January, there have been posts on the Carpetright blog looking at different ways to tackle common interior design dilemmas.
Upcycling bedroom ideas looked at ways to make your bedroom unique and quirky. Of course, you can buy unusual products, but it’s way more fun to create them yourself.
For example, we liked the idea of upcycling wooden pallets and creating rustic style bedside tables from them. There was even the idea to create your very own unique bed from upcycled pallets. Once the base is constructed, you’ll have the essential frame you need to pop a comfy mattress on top.
The post on alternative flooring had some good ideas on different materials to use on your floors, or ways to mix up different materials and textures.
One idea in particular that caught our eye was to cut carpet tiles or carpet into triangular shapes and make your own geometric pattern. It can create a really stunning effect.
(Image from Carpetright)
If you’re worried about cutting the lines straight or getting the triangles to fit, then you could always ask a carpet expert to cut the tiles up for you. Or maybe a mismatched patchwork triangle effect could be your own unique style?
There was also a post on clever bedroom storage ideas, such as beds with hidden storage, so you can hide your clutter out of sight or an unusual hooks and display boards that are both functional and decorative.
Plus some insight into creative and quirky ideas for bedroom interiors, such as transforming your bed with a canopy (this looks great, but the dust aspect could be an issue), painting your ceiling or adding some funky lighting effects.
How would you do it differently?
Having filled their blog with plenty of inspiring ideas for ways to #DoItDifferently, this month Carpetright are handing over the gauntlet and challenging you to have a go at doing it differently.
Not only that, but you could win a makeover prize to transform your bedroom. The prize includes:
£500 to spend at Carpetright
Indie chic storage items from The Camouflage Company
A luxury king size duvet cover set from Rooi
A £100 gift card from Bedroom Storage Maker
All you need to do is share a photo of your unique home improvements on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram and add the hashtag #DoItDifferently.
Find out more about the competition over on the Carpetright blog
Fresh Design ideas to do it differently
Our top 10 ideas to #DoItDifferently include:
1. Using wallpaper in unexpected places, such as the side of drawers, on the ceiling or behind cupboard doors.
2. Transforming a dresser with decoupage
3. Creating unique drawer pulls from shells, driftwood or other unusual objects
4. Upcycling jumpers and turning them into cosy cushions or poufs
5. Upcycling vintage suitcases and trunks and transforming them into bedside tables, cupboards or decorative pieces
6. Make wooden crates into side tables, coffee tables or stacked storage units
7. Using wall stickers or decals to decorate furniture.
8. Re-purpose old doors and door frames, turning them into mirrors or noticeboards.
9. Painting and rejuvenating vintage picture frames, before turning them into contemporary mirrors.
10. Putting broken china to good use, by making mini mosaic wall art
If you’ve got a great idea to #DoItDifferently, or have already created your own unique stamp on your home, then don’t forget to photograph your creations and submit them into the Carpetright #DoItDifferently competition. It’s open for entries until 29th February 2016.
(Disclosure: This is collaborative post)