August 18th, 2014
We’re rather fond of the home and gifts range from Urban Outfitters, especially when looking for quirky or unusual ideas. Their shops are great for a browse, but did you know that they also have some products that are exclusively available online and not in store?
Here’s a selection of some of their online exclusives to tempt you. We particularly like the look of the Danish writing desk and chair and other items of furniture that they stock.
Plus, by using the code “WINNER”, if you order online, you could get your delivery for just £1.
1. Danish writing desk and chair, £450 (free delivery to the UK)
2. Marni table lamp in plum (also available in blue or olive), £50
3. Heico elephant lamp in white, £60
4. Geometric block candle holder in gold (also available in copper and white), £18
5. Gallery side table, £175
6. Owl cake mould, £10
7. Heico pug lamp, £70
8. Mirror dot printed rug in blue, £69
9. Bunny stapler in pink, £10
August 14th, 2014
Add a touch of metallic to your seating, with these gorgeous copper stools.
The stools are made by Danish company, Madam Stoltz, and are oozing with industrial style charm. They’re available in two different sizes – the large is perfect for use at a kitchen breakfast bar, whilst the small would be good for occasional seating or even to use as a side table for a lamp.
With metallic accents a key trend in the home, now’s the time to snap these up. They’re priced from £68 and can be purchased from Miafleur.
August 12th, 2014
The theme of the day – ice lollies!
It’s definitely the time of year to be enjoying an ice lolly or two and what better way to share your love of lollies, past and present, by incorporating the designs in your home.
The products we’ve found that feature ice lollies all seem to be brimming with colour and a sense of energy. They can add a bit of zing and life into your decor, helping you feel uplifted throughout the year (and, er, maybe a tad hungry too….).
We love the Wall’s classics lollies design tin, which features many of our old favourites – Funny Feet, Feast, Mini Milks and Rockets, mmm! The rectangular tin is an ideal size for use as a biscuit or cake tin and will give you plenty of ice lolly goodness to reminisce about.
Improve the chore of ironing by conjuring up ideas of an ice lolly (and maybe treat yourself to one when you’ve conquered your ironing pile?). The ice lolly ironing board cover is available in several sizes, so it can fit multiple ironing boards. It’s currently in the sale at John Lewis, making it a particularly good buy.
It’s the colours of ice lollies that can be so appealing and the ice lolly print is sure to add a splash of colour to your wall. It’s made in Britain and available from Striped Paint Design.
In fact, if a Fab lolly is your ultimate favourite, then Joss and Mainhave a fab cushion that may tickle your fancy. The bright and lively retro design cushion, by Martin Wiscombe, features a lolly that looks good enough to eat. What a shame they’re not still 5p each today. Bring back old time pricing, we say!
August 11th, 2014
Wow, what can we say? We love this new range of furniture.
It’s the Spitalfields collection from Dunelm Mill and is oozing in rustic charm and contemporary industrial style influences. From the pallet style coffee table on wheels, to the simplistic open metal shelving, the set of chunky console tables and the wooden chests of drawers full of organisational opportunities, there’s much to be loved.
And if the rustic, salvaged looking wood wasn’t enough, there’s even a gorgeous trunk style chest of drawers with an inspiring quote.
Although it’s described as a living room furniture range, plenty of the pieces would work equally well throughout your home. The cabinets, console tables and shelving would look ideal in a home office or study and the chest in a bedroom, for example.
Best of all, with it being a high street retailer, the prices are reasonable. They start at £59.99 for a Spitalfields wall organiser or bar stool, rising to £299.99 for the large wide cabinet or five tier shelf.
We’d definitely suggest a good look if you’re into this interior design style as the collection has been nicely put together and is very attractive both in terms of style and price. Well done, Dunelm Mill!
August 8th, 2014
We’ve brought you some fun ice cube trays recently, but here’s one that looks good on the outside and serves a practical purpose on the inside too.
This nifty ice cube tray is designed in the shape of a polar bear. Unlike a lot of traditional design ice cube trays, this one is sealed. You place the water inside, seal it up and you won’t end up with an ice cube tray that sticks to the bottom of your freezer. Neither will you lose any water en route or find that your ice cubes have picked up the flavour of other items in your freezer.
When it comes to getting the ice cubes out, you can give the polar bear a bit of a whack, loosening the cubes inside, then pop off his nose and out they’ll pour. Voila, easy, convenient and perfect ice cubes!
The polar bear ice cube tray is £9.95 at Prezzybox.
August 7th, 2014
We love geometric designs and these stylish Adelaide coasters, new in at Anthropologie, are really fab.
They’re made of glazed earthenware and come in four funky shapes – including a lovely beehive, cube and hexagon design.
The coasters are sold individually, so you can choose your favourite shape to make a set, go for a mixed bunch or simply treat yourself to one. They’re a great design for a contemporary home, or would be a nice little touch of style to have on your desk at work. They’re £6 each.
August 6th, 2014
Why stick with plain hooks when you could have a funky one? Liven up your home with some of these fresh design contemporary hooks and hang your coat in style!
1. Squiggle metal cook rack, by The Metal House.
2. Mantosaure coat rack by Thomas de Lussac, available in red, orange, white or black from Bouf.
3. Giant peg hook. A lovely oversized clothes peg hook, available in a range of colours. Great for use in a hall or child’s room. Available from Net Deco.
4. Hang on to yourself coat pegs, designed by Genevieve Gauckler. A set of three is available from Made In Design.
5. Goldilocks and the tree bears coat hooks, by Heather Alstead Design. The set comes with three bear design hooks, plus a yellow G hook, and they’re available in matte off white or matte black.
6. Dart design coat hooks by Anthony Crisp for Suck UK. Made from polished steel and available from Red Candy.
7. Handjob hooks are available in eight designs based on message communications – thumbs up, point, shake, rock on, peace, OK, up yours and wave. They’re by Thelermont Hupton and can be bought from Clippings.
8. Pix hooks, 3D pixel design, by Thelermont Hupton, available on Bouf.
August 5th, 2014
Home accessories and furniture made from wire have been abundant for a while. Partly influenced by the industrial home trend and partly by vintage style pieces, wire designs can be simple or elaborate, practical or elegant and offer plenty of textural interest for a contemporary home.
Here are six of our favourite designs made from wire.
1. The industrial style wire wall rack provides useful storage space for displaying accessories or practical space for storing stationery, such as envelopes, paper and letters. It’s sold by Graham and Green.
2. Doesn’t this wire side table look effective? The Danish designed powder coated iron base is actually a basket and, although it’s topped with solid oak, that can be removed if you want to store things inside or change its use completely. The wire basket table is available from Holly’s House.
3. Boasting both a practical design and an affordable price tag, the round metal wire baskets can be folded flat when they’re not in use. They’re available in two sizes and are sold by H&M.
4. If you like your wire coloured, then the large storage basket is available in pale pink, neon coral, white or grey. It’s available from Berylune.
5. If you fancy a new fruit bowl or want a basket to serve bread rolls in when you’re entertaining, then this large wire basket is a good option. The chunky design is complimented with a useful handle, making it good for alfresco summer dining. It’s from Drift Living.
6. A lovely contemporary design, the wire fruit bowl is made using a single piece of powder coated steel wire that is sculptured into a bowl shape. It’s available in white, black or a lively green and can be purchased from Block.
July 31st, 2014
It’s been a while since I had a browse of the Next home department, and clearly I’ve been missing a treat. This house design collage frame immediately caught my eye and it looks like a great way of displaying photos, in amidst a few motivational messages.
The wooden frame has space to hold five photos of varying sizes, plus there’s a tiny shelf suitable for treasures or trinkets. It’s £45 and very nicely made.
Of course, I couldn’t help but then discover the coordinating house storage accessory. This piece is made from cardboard rather than wood, but it’s an attractive design and would work well used on a desk or to store small craft related items in (like threads, ribbons, scissors or buttons). It’s an affordable buy at only £16.
All other home accessories shown above are from the Next range too and can effectively be mixed and matched to create your own display. They’re all priced at £35 or under.
July 30th, 2014
Did you know this very popular phrase was made famous by the song ‘Sidewalks of New York?’ Written by lyricist James W. Blake and composer Charles B. Lawlor in 1894, it is often considered the theme tune for New York City.
Over at Lighting Majestic you can find an array of lights from the New York range designed by Sergio Sartorello to suit both a variety of budgets and any number of lighting needs. Produced by Sil Lux, an Italian manufacturer of exquisite lighting fixtures, the New York range is modern and simple and consists of a curved glass lampshade design with a lacquered grey aluminium frame and a number of colour combinations.
The New York table lamp has a grey aluminium frame with a curved lampshade over a circular base. The lamp emits a glare free light and would prove an eye catching addition, whether switched on or not, to any room. Its sophisticated design gives it a modern edge and therefore a versatility, making it suitable for either a household or commercial setting.
Also in the range is a stylish and elegant floor lamp. From a concave base, two stems emerge which connect with the lamp head to give the piece a crisp finish. The New York floor lamp would be a convincing presence in any contemporary home.
The New York range also includes both ceiling and wall lights. The ceiling light is of simple taste and has a gold leaf finish that borders either side of the light itself. The ceiling light would form an attractive centrepiece in a modern room.
In contrast, the wall light has a striking red border and a sleek, refined design. Similar to the other lights in the New York range, the light emitted is of a beautiful glow that is glare free.
By the twentieth century, to ‘trip the light fantastic’ had evolved into the commonly used and ever popular pun to ‘skip the light fandango’ a line that features in the song ‘A Whiter Shade of Pale’ written by Procol Harum and lyricist Keith Reid in the 1960′s.
So will you trip the light fantastic?!
By Sarah Curtis
(Disclosure: This post is an entry into the Lighting Majestic blogger competition)