Love the effortless and cosy look of Nordic Christmas interior design style? With these five essential tips, you too could bring a sense of Nordic to your home this season.
1. Choose a colour palette
They key to a good Nordic interior is to get the colours right. A simple, muted colour palette of greys, whites and browns is ideal to start with. Mix it up with accessories in black or dark wood, or even try a few pastel shades. If you’ve got white walls, hanging anything colourful on the wall will be an ideal contrast and produce a pop of colour.
2. Add textures
The muted colours of a Nordic style are given depth by the use of plenty of textures. Incorporate decorations with different textures, such as wood, wool, metal or felt. Make your room a winter haven with knitted poufs, fake fur rugs, wooden floors, cushions and cosy throws.
3. Focus on light
Whilst white and soft colours naturally help to make a room feel lighter, it’s also important to pay attention to light sources, especially as the days are shorter at this time of year. Well placed table lamps and floor lamps can be used to brighten up dark corners. Use decorative candles and tealight candle holders to add light to dark evenings and increase the cosy factor.
4. Incorporate nature
Elements of nature are a common occurrence in Nordic schemes and look fresh and inviting. Think bowls of fir cones, wooden birch tree candle holders, decorative twig branches and foliage displayed in vases.
5. Use metallics
Finally, add elements of metal to your room schemes. Tree decorations in shiny silver, fir cones dipped in copper and gold, copper pendant lights, silver metal candlesticks or golden vases. The metal will shine and glow in the light and look gorgeous at Christmas.
Nordic style home product ideas
Here are some winter and Christmas themed Nordic style product ideas that could help you achieve this look.
1. Indoor and outdoor light up birch tree cluster – £85 from Cox & Cox
2. Hanging twig star with natural pine cones – £19.95 from Graham & Green
3. Faux snowberry branch – £12.50 from Nordic House
4. Silver metal star tree decoration – £2.99 from Dunelm
5. Pre-lit snowy twig 4ft Christmas tree – £50 from John Lewis
6. Ben Rothery Henry stag cushion – £20 from John Lewis
7. Helsinki faux fur throw – £19.99 from Dunelm
8. Metal heart and reindeer decorations – £12.99 from Culture Vulture Direct
9. Silver starry votive candle holders – from £6.50 at Nordic House0