One of the interior design trends we’re loving at the moment is the return of the terrarium. These unique containers, which are often modern and contemporary in design, provide the perfect place to create a mini garden of plants to hang or display in your home
They’re a great way of bringing the outdoors in, especially if you don’t have a garden, and can be used with very low maintenance plants that even the non-green-fingered can have a go with.
We love succulents such as Sempervivums and these work perfectly in terrariums, but you can also plant ferns, small flowers and cacti in them. For the ultimate in ease, try opting for air plants.
5 top terrariums
1. Featuring two of our current favourite interior design trends – copper and geometrics – this hanging terrarium and air plant from Adorn Homeware is ideal. It’s handcrafted and based on Scandinavian style and design. It’s £30.
2. The Urban Botanist are specialists in terrariums and have a brilliant selection of products available. We like their modern Skyline range, which includes this globe design. It comes fully assembled with a plant included and can be hung or placed flat on a surface. It’s priced from £29.95.
3. The design of terrariums can be very eye-catching, like this diamond-inspired planter from Urban Outfitters. It’s made of iron and glass and finished in gold. It’s available exclusively online for £35.
4. Even the tiniest space can become home to a few plants, as this lightbulb terrarium demonstrates. It comes with air plants – plants that live and grow with no soil or roots – and is £18.50 from Dingading Terrariums.
5. There are some really funky shaped terrariums available, like this cube one from West Elm. It’s made of glass and copper and is designed to enable the containers to be clustered together in different formations. It’s priced at £44.
They say it only takes one hour to do and is fun for all the family, so it could be ideal for a rainy day in the summer holidays!