Posts Tagged ‘Home accessories’
Tuesday, December 13th, 2011
We’re loving the deer trend in home accessories, so here’s our pick of 5 of the best deer themed buys for your home!
1. Deer Decorations
This contemporary style set of three deer are the perfect addition to your Christmas decorations.
They’re made of sustainably sourced, laser-cut birch plywood and they arrive in 11 pieces, which are simply slotted together.
The rather quirky deer family cost £24 from Shell Thomas.
2. Deer Mugs
We really like the Yes Deer mug, but there’s also a Daddy Deer and Mummy Deer option available too.
The mugs are handmade from bone china, are microwave and dishwasher proof and are only £9 each from RawXclusive.
3. Deer Wall Stickers
Watch out, there’s a deer about!
The huge British deer wall sticker is so lifelike – it could cause momentary shock if you came across it unexpectedly in someone’s home! To add a taste to the wild to your home, it will set you back £39.99 from The Binary Box.
Alternatively, a smaller black silhouette deer wall sticker is available for £16.50 from Bombdesign.
4. Funky Deer Head
Dimensional deer wall decoration
This super funky contemporary deer head decoration is made from graphically decorated laminated fibreboard.
It comes flat packed, but is easy to assemble – no glue required – and adds dimension and interest to a wall.
The gorgeous deer head is available for £35 from Cox and Cox.
5. Deer Paperweight
This handmade paperweight features a funky geometric background (which reminds us of wallpaper) and a black silhouette of a deer, with a bird perched on its back.
The round paperweight comes boxed and costs £12 from Lollipop Designs.
If you love all things deer related, don’t forget to enter our EasyArt Loves competition to win you very own deer stag framed art print!
Monday, September 12th, 2011
Trends in home accessories are an interesting breed and sometimes it’s surprising just what becomes popular. Who would have guessed that the humble eye chart – an essential piece of equipment for opticians – would become a sought after home accessory?
Back in 2009, we featured the Luckies eye chart tea towel, which you all loved. Two years on, several major retailers have jumped on the eye test bandwagon and come up with new versions of this intriguing idea. So if you loved the quirkiness of the eye chart tea towel, the chances are you’ll like these pieces too.
1. Tesco Direct framed eye chart
Eye test print
If the simplicity of an authentic eye chart is all you crave, then Tesco Direct have this simple framed eye chart available. It’s £30. Hang it on the wall and check your eyes make the grade.
2. Ikea Gyllen eye chart wall lamp
Eye chart wall lamp
Ikea have produced this rather funky eye chart wall lamp, which hangs vertically on your wall. In addition to the joy of testing your eyes, it provides a good source of light too. The Gyllen wall lamp costs £41.99.
3. Heal’s eye chart test prints
Heal’s have produced not one, but two eye chart home accessories, both in the form of wall prints. Although the style and theme is still the classic eye test, these two both have a twist on the usual random selection of letters. Choose between You Can Rarely See and I Spy. Both cost £60 each.
4. John Lewis eye test cushion
Eye chart cushion
If cushions are more your thing, then here’s an eye chart print on a cushion, from John Lewis. It costs £25.
Tuesday, May 31st, 2011
Stylish wall display unit
Looking for a stylish way to display your favourite home accesories?
This eye-catching Ferm Living Dorm shelf offers an attractive and contemporary wall unit display solution.
Designed by Trine Andersen, the Dorm shelf is shaped like the outline of a house. It’s made from a mix of birch and alder plywood and comes with a pale blue or pale pink background.
The Dorm shelf is available to purchase from Cloudberry Living for £69.96.
Wednesday, February 16th, 2011
There are some questions that seem to come up on a regular basis – “Will it be a sunny day?”, “Have I got my umbrella?” and “What will happen if….?”
Designer Judy Holme has gathered together some of her favourite questions and used them artistically in the design of this cushion. The questions have been formed into graduating circles, with the print slowly getting smaller and smaller, fading in colour until it simply forms into a light dot in the centre of the cushion.
The Questions cushion is a perfect size for relaxing against (40cm by 40cm), but you’ll no doubt be drawn into spending plenty of time reading and pondering the questions too. It comes filled with a soft luxury feather pad and has off-white silk on the back of it.
Judy Holme’s Questions cushion is available in a range of colours, including dark blue, pale blue, maroon, ocean blue, pink, orange and khaki and all options are available to purchase at Dotmaison.
Tuesday, February 15th, 2011
Updating your home for spring needn’t cost a fortune and, thanks to a competition currently running at The Conran Shop, you could even win some cash to help you do just that!
To celebrate their new season’s accessories, The Conran Shop are giving away a £100 voucher each week for the next three weeks. All you have to do to enter is browse their website, find your favourite accessory costing £100 or less and tweet or blog about why you like it.
To enter on Twitter, just tweet a link to the accessory to @Conran_shop, including the hashtag #conranstyle. For blog entries, simply post the picture of the item on your blog, along with details of why you’ve chosen it, and tweet a link to @Conran_shop. Full terms and conditions can be found here.
Details of the winners will be included on The Conran Shop blog and on their website.
Our choice is this curvy white earthenware glazed Polo mint inspired modern vase. The design is eye-catching, so would draw interest to wherever its placed, and the neutral colour gives it timeless appeal.
The Polo vase is £35 and available exclusively at The Conran Shop.
Wednesday, December 22nd, 2010
After all the frantic Christmas buying comes the post-Christmas sales – although this year (perhaps helped along by the snow and the inability to guarantee online deliveries in time for Christmas) a lot of the sales have started already.
It’s a great opportunity to save money on essentials, treat yourself to something special, stock up on presents for the coming year or give your home a new look for the new year. As our sale round-up post last year proved so popular, we’ve done it again and put together 30 of the best places to bag sale bargains online this year.
By shopping online, you can often get access to sale bargains before instore shoppers, as sales start earlier, and you don’t have to brave the cold or the crowds either.
Happy shopping and hope you bag some great bargains!
1. The John Lewis sale starts online from 5pm on Christmas Eve, and in store from 27 December. In the meantime, you can get a clearance preview here.
2. The Christmas sale starts online at Debenhams on 23rd December and in store on Boxing Day. Discounts of up to 70% off are expected.
3. The House of Fraser up to 50% off sale starts online on Christmas Eve and in store on Boxing Day. From 31 December, the reductions are expected to rise to up to 70% off.
4. The January sale at Bouf, with up to 60% off selected brands, runs from 27 December to 15 January 2011.
5. The sale at Lombok, with up to 30% off furniture and home accessories, has started and runs until 24 January.
6. The January sale at Homebase has started earlier, with up to 50% off a wide range of items. If you spend over £150 before 24 December, you can also get an extra 15% off.
7. At Habitat, their sale has 20% off selected furniture and upholstery, until 26th January 2011.
8. The winter sale at Wickes has up to 50% off a range of products, including big home purchases, such as kitchens and bathrooms. You can also get an extra 15% off if you buy before 3 January 2011.
9. The Selfridges winter sale with up to 75% off starts online on Christmas Day and in store on Boxing Day.
10. At Monsoon, you can get up to 30% off homeware and home accessories when their sale starts online and in stores on Boxing Day. The discounts are expected to increase.
11. Argos has been running some special pre-Christmas sale deals, but kicks off its end of catalogue sale online on Christmas Day and in-store on Boxing Day.
12. Bhs has up to 50% off in their sale and a free delivery offer on spends of over £10.
13. The sale preview at the lovely NotOnTheHighStreet starts on Boxing Day.
14. The furniture sale at Heal’s, with up to 50% off, has already started. The rest of the Heal’s sale begins online on Christmas Day.
15. The sale at Urban Outfitters is online and instore now.
16. There’s currently up to 50% off in the sale at Oliver Bonas.
17. The Matalan sale, with up to 50% off homeware, starts online on Christmas Day and in store on Boxing Day.
18. At Laura Ashley, their sale has already started – there’s up to 50% off selected home, furniture and upholstery, plus up to 25% off made-to-measure curtains and blinds.
19. The Marks and Spencer sale starts online on Christmas Eve.
20. Rumour has it that the Next sale starts at 5am on 27th December.
21. H&M, which now sell a small range of home items online, currently has up to 50% off items, such as cushions, throws and curtains.
22. The up to 50% off sale preview at Designers Guild can now be viewed online.
23. I Want One of Those has up to 50% off in their sale, which is live online now.
24. If electrical items are on your wish list, then the sale at Robert Dyas has up to 50% off home electrical products, such as kettles, toasters, coffee makers and vacuum cleaners.
25. The sale at Terry’s Fabrics starts online on Christmas Eve.
26. If you’re keen to have a new bathroom, then the Next Bathroom sale has started and has savings of up to £300 on bathroom suites and up to £400 on ensuites.
27. The winter sale is now on at Leekes.
28. The up to 75% off sale starts at Whsmith on 22 December and in store on Boxing Day.
29. The DotComGiftShop ‘January’ sale was due to start on 24 December, but has kicked off early.
30. Bloomsbury & Co have up to 50% off in their sale, which includes home accessories, furniture and interiors.
And as a final extra, The Conran Shop have been in touch to let us know that their sale starts on Boxing Day. However, you can get a special online preview from 3pm on Christmas Eve.
Sunday, December 5th, 2010
If you’re snowed in or don’t fancy skidding around on the ice in the cold to get to the shops, then now is the perfect time to stay inside in the warm and get on with some online Christmas shopping. To help save you money on your Christmas gifts, we’ve teamed up with online home accessory boutique, Sorella, to give you a special 15% discount!
Sorella have a shop in the lovely town of Hexham in Northumberland, which we visited during rather sunnier weather in the summer, but also sell many of their products from their online store. The name Sorella means ‘sister’ in Italian, which is very apt, as the shop is run by two sisters, Moira and Liz.
Sorella stocks a wide range of unique, stylish and handpicked gifts, including some lovely home accessories, and they specialise in stocking items made by skilled artisans.
The special 15% discount offer runs until 31st December 2010. To take advantage of the offer, simply quote the coupon code, “FRESH” when you place your online order at Sorella.
Here are our top picks from Sorella’s range:
Spell out Noel or Love
These lovely mango wood letters can be bought individually, but as a money-saving suggestion, why not buy the letters N, O, E, L and V. At Christmas, you can use them to spell out the seasonal word, Noel, then for the rest of the year you can use them to spell out Love (or other variations, if you so desire!). It’s a clever idea and extra value for money, as one set provides two great words.
Luxury scented candle
This large, three wick Irish Winter candle smells absolutely gorgeous – it has the warming scent of cinnamon and clove – and is exactly the scent typically associated with Christmas. You could burn it in your house in the run-up to Christmas, or give it as a gift.
Special keepsake boxes
We love the look of these special handcrafted keepsake boxes. Available in a choice of colours and designs, the boxes are all fitted with a metal spring and ribbon ties, and the spine has a handturned brass card frame with a card insert, so you can label your box.
The keepsake boxes would be perfect for storing away treasured items, or you could use them as part of a special gift.
Keep warm when it's cold outside
This ultra snuggly fleece Igloo ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’ hot water bottle will help you keep super warm inside, even on the coldest of days and nights. The winter white hottie is made by Avoca and finished off with a cheery red ribbon detail and button on the back.
Jewel coloured cushions
These luxurious silk velvet cushions are available in some lovely shades of jewel-like colours – the only difficult part is choosing which to buy!
These cosy Bronte lamswool throws are perfect for the current wintry weather. The polka dot throws are woven in Yorkshire and available in a choice of three colours – pale grey, natural or eau de nil.
Monday, June 7th, 2010
These decorative metal balls have a lovely lattice work effect, that adds a natural swirl to their surface.
Available as a set of three, they range in size from 17cm, to 13cm and 10cm and look great grouped together as a threesome. They’re a more contemporary version of the decorative china balls, often in blue and white, that have been popular over the years.
The lattice balls are available from Next, where they’re priced at £20 for three.
Monday, August 24th, 2009
Crown storage jar and jug
Patchwork Harmony, an online store selling beautiful home accessories, are offering readers of Fresh Design Blog a 10% discount on all orders placed until 31st August 2009. All you need to do is enter the code FRESH at the checkout to gain the discount.
If you love shopping for unusual home accessories, and like vintage and retro items, then you’ll love Patchwork Harmony. They’ve got a gorgeous selection of items for sale, with great prices even before the 10% discount - here are some of our favourites.
The crown storage jar and jug (shown above) are two rather fun items for the kitchen.
Both pieces are emblazoned with a crown on the front of them and the storage jar has a rather regal form of handle on the lid. As they’re in a neutral shade, they’re likely to fit in with your kitchen design, whatever the colour.
The crown jug and storage jar can be bought as a set for £30, or separately for £18.95 (storage jar) and £11.95 (jug).
Funky handmade seed markers
If you’re into gardening and growing your own vegetables, then you’ll no doubt get through plenty of seed markers each year (we certainly do). These handmade seed markers, designed and made by Esther Coombs, are a great alternative to the usual seed markers and will ensure you can see at a distance what’s growing where.
They’re made from recycled wooden stakes and china plates and are available for marking potatoes, peas, carrots, lettuces and beetroot. Each of the designs varies slightly, due to being handmade, and you can buy them as a set of five for £38 or individually for £7.95 each.
Or, if you’ve got a favourite homegrown veg that you’d like to mark, they can even be made to order – how’s that for service?
Decorative hanging heart frame
This decorative grey frame is in the shape of a heart and is lovely way to display a photo of your loved one. It holds a picture size of 3″ by 3″ and the frame is designed to hang, so you can move it around your home, from room to room, if you wish.
The grey heart frame is priced at £5.25.
- Strawberry design jam pot
Why not add a bit of colour to your table, with this red and white coloured china strawberry design jam pot? It would great for serving jam in if you’re afternoon tea or for breakfast when you’ve got people staying (it’s nicer than having any old jam pot on the table!).
The strawberry design jam pot is priced at £13.95.
There are plenty more home goodies available at the Patchwork Harmony online store,
so why not go and check them for yourself (and don’t forget the 10% discount!).