It’s lovely to have hot, sunny days, but in order to make the most of your garden during the hot weather, a parasol is essential for providing some shade. Whether you’re sitting out relaxing, or dining alfresco, then here’s our pick of five of the best garden parasols.
1. Hardwood parasols are a long-term favourite and this Princess parasol, designed by Paul Reef Parasols, features a classic green woven polyester top with a hardwood pole.
The parasol top is coated with 3M Scotchguard and it has vents in the top too, to help prevent it taking off. In order to put the parasol up and down easily, there is a four-pulley corded system. The hardwood pole is nice and sturdy and is finished off with brass fittings.
2. This is a very nifty freestanding garden parasol from John Lewis. The clever design means that you can easily position your chair or sun lounger underneath the parasol, rather than to the side of it, and you don’t have to have it positioned in the centre of a table either.
The only slight downside is that you do need to have four 45cm x 45cm paving slabs for the base. That aside, the John Lewis freestanding garden parasol in ecru is available for £119.20.
3. To add a bit of colour into your garden, how about this multi coloured stripe Zanzibar parasol?
The base is made from eucalyptus wood, the shade has UV30 protection and is made from polyester.
The Zanzibar stripe parasol costs £99 from Marks and Spencer.
4. This large oriental tilting garden parasol, provides plenty of shade in a stylish way. Unlike some parasols, there’s as much of a design element in the underside of the parasol, which you get to see when sitting underneath it.
The parasol frame is made from aluminium and the canopy from UV resistant polyester. The oriental tilting garden parasol costs £96.98 from Posh Garden Furniture on Bouf (plus, there’s free P&P to the UK!).
5. If you need more than just a parasol, then there are some well priced garden furniture sets available, which include a parasol. This Lattice six piece patio set from Asda is a good buy at £150.
The cherry red garden parasol measures 200cm, plus you get four dining style chairs with red cushions and a table. The Lattice patio set is available to buy from Asda.
Updated May 2012